The New York Mets had been suffering some nagging, annoying injuries lately. Starters Marcus Stroman and Jacob deGrom were banged up in the last few days, but fortunately, neither issue evolved, but third baseman JD Davis and outfielder Brandon Nimmo were placed on the 10-day injured list with hand ailments.
The Mets had hoped to have starter Carlos Carrasco back by next week. The righty had suffered a high grade hamstring tear in mid-March and was given a 6-8 week timetable. There was hope the team could have him back for mid-May, but that is not happening now.
The Mets placed Carrasco on the 60-day injured list, preventing a return to action before May 31. It is a considerable blow for a franchise that needs that fifth starter, since Joey Lucchesi hasn’t been able to establish himself.
The Mets insist that Carrasco did not suffer a setback, and instead, they want to take things extremely slow with the starter. They want to avoid scenarios in which he can aggravate the injury.
The Mets’ pitcher hasn’t recovered as hoped
Carrasco, according to the team’s official page, hasn’t been able to push the muscle as much as he would like.
He has been pitching in simulated games and is reportedly stretched out to six innings. However, the Mets want to see him field his position without any type of hesitation, and that requires full confidence on the muscle.
The Mets pushed Carrasco in workouts this month, but his hamstring did not respond as well as they had hoped.
“He has done everything … it’s just right now, he hasn’t done it at game speed,” manager Luis Rojas said. “We still want to do that a little more before he joins us, and still take it with care.”
Now, Carrasco will make at least two rehab starts before rejoining the Mets. “We reassessed the timeline,” Rojas said. “There are some things we still want to test on the field.”