Over the past week and a half, the New York Yankees have undergone some serious roster turnover. They’ve lost some of their best players, making their lineup look almost like a AAA team.
One of the teams’ most important players, Aaron Judge, went on the IL with a minor calf strain on 8/14. He’s set to return to the lineup the next time the Yankees play. The team had a weekend series with the Mets canceled due to the Mets having positive coronavirus tests, but there’s still hope of a makeup doubleheader on Monday, according to reports.
However, Judge returning is just one small part of the missing puzzle. With guys like DJ LeMahieu, Gleyber Torres, and Giancarlo Stanton still out; there’s still some major roster gaps. With Judge coming back, here’s what the Yankee order could look like with him inserted.
- Aaron Hicks (DH)- A speedy switch hitter with a good glove and a reliable option as the back-up leadoff hitter.
- Aaron Judge (RF)- Do we really need much explanation? The Judge will return to his normal spot.
- Luke Voit (1B)- The powerful righty already has 10 bombs and is on track for a career season.
- Gio Urshela (3B)- A reliable option with good defense and a well-rounded bat.
- Gary Sanchez (C)- Although off to a rough start, Sanchez has hit a few recent bombs and appears to be on the right track.
- Clint Frazier (LF)- Since rejoining the team, Frazier has been on fire, driving in runs.
- Mike Tauchman (CF)- A speedy outfielder with a good glove and a solid bat.
- Thairo Estrada (2B)- A well rounded middle-infielder that does everything pretty well.
- Tyler Wade (SS)- One of the fastest players in the league, Wade can steal bags and has unlimited range.
The Yankees certainly don’t have a bad lineup when injury-infested, but it’s not quite the lineup the team is envisioning. After losing three straight at home, the Yankees are ready to bounce-back with a healthy Aaron Judge back.