After leaving his last start with soreness in his right side, Jacob deGrom was scheduled for another MRI to dismiss the possibility of any serious damage. While doctors did not find anything of note in the test, the New York Mets decided to play things safe and will place their ace on the 10-day injured list.
The Mets are calling the injury as “right side discomfort”, and while they were initially hopeful he could avoid the injured list, they are prioritizing long-term health and giving their best starter a break, per Anthony DiComo of the team official site.
The stint on the IL could last only one start, but the Mets won’t know more until days go by and they see how the pitcher is feeling.
The Mets’ starter is eligible to return from the injured list on May 21.
The Mets will miss deGrom this week
He was able to pitch competitively on Sunday for five innings before leaving prior to starting the sixth frame against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
“We want everyone to be with the team for the entire season to help us compete and win,” manager Luis Rojas said on Sunday. “And that’s what we’re doing with Jake. … We’ll listen to the experts first, and then we’ll come up with a plan.”
So far this season, deGrom has been money for the Mets, with a microscopic 0.68 ERA and 65 strikeouts in 40 innings.
“We don’t try to force anything here, knowing that there’s something going on,” Rojas said. “We always try to make sure that our guys are everything-free — tightness-free, soreness-free, everything.”
While deGrom has suffered numerous nagging injuries over the last four seasons, he has never missed more than a start or two. The right side issue is a recurrent one, so the Mets decided to avoid the risk of further aggravation and will shut him down for at least a week or so.