At one point, during early last week, it appeared that the New York Mets would enter the season with no contract extension in place for All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor. The talented infielder had stated he didn’t want to negotiate during the season, and if a deal wasn’t struck by Thusday (Opening Day), he would play out the campaign and test free agency after the World Series.
On Wednesday night, close to midnight, several outlets reported that the Mets had reached an agreement with Lindor, who was acquired in January from the Cleveland Indians alongside Carlos Carrasco, in exchange for shortstops Amed Rosario and Andres Gimenez plus two prospects.
Now, on Monday, the Mets are officially announcing the pact: Francisco Lindor will be in Queens for the next 11 years, as the 10-year, $341 million extension will kick in after the 2021 season.
The Mets are paying for an all-around star
The four-time All-Star, two-time Gold Glove award winner, and two-time Silver Slugger award winner has a career 118 wRC+ and is a known leader and motivator, in addition to his lofty big league resume.
“Today is a great day for the Mets, Mets fans everywhere, Francisco, his teammates and his family,” Owner, Chairman and CEO Steve Cohen said. “Having spent time with Francisco during spring training, he’s an extraordinary talent on the field and an exceptional person off it. This is a great start to opening the season and a big step toward our pursuit of sustained winning… and championships.”
Lindor said last week that he has “$341 million reasons” to go out and play to the best of his abilities every day for the Mets, clarifying that he will work hard to maintain his level of play.
“Francisco brings so much to the Mets — as a player and leader,” said Mets President Sandy Alderson. “His reputation for both preceded him when he joined us and he’s exceeded all of our expectations. His abilities and presence will be critical to our success going forward. We’re thrilled that Francisco will be a Met for years to come.”