The sliding New York Mets sure could use their best position player, Francisco Lindor, back in the lineup as soon as possible. He has been out for a few weeks now since suffering a grade 2 oblique strain, an injury that needs to heal properly, otherwise the player can easily re-aggravate it.
The superstar shortstop talked with the media on Saturday, a day after the Mets lost the first place in the NL East by virtue of losing Friday’s game against the Phillies. New York had held on the top spot for 90 days.
In his conversation with reporters, he said he is currently feeling good and “can’t complain”, but he added that he didn’t have enough information about his potential return date given the complexity of the injury.
Mets’ general manager Zack Scott has previously stated that a mid-to-late August return could be realistic.
“I ain’t gonna give you guys much,” Lindor said, addressing reporters, according to SNY. “I don’t know, I really don’t know. I’m sorry, I really don’t know.”
The Mets’ shortstop is progressing slowly
The Mets’ star infielder, signed to a 10-year, $341 million extension the day before the season started, has taken some dry swings and some swings off a tee, and he was also spotted doing some running before the game.
“It sucks. I wanna be there, I wanna help them out,” he said, speaking about his teammates. “We’re not getting the results we wanna get. I would love to be with them. I would love to struggle with them.”
Mets manager Luis Rojas added that Lindor is taking ground balls and playing catch, and testing his oblique in “live action.”
He also said, however, that the shortstop is still considered week-to-week, so a late August return seems more realistic at this point. Next for him would be taking batting practice.
It looks like the Mets’ infielder will be out for at least a couple more weeks.