New York Mets’ star Francisco Lindor is very much involved in the talks between MLB and the Players Association for a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA). Negotiations, so far, have been rough, with owners refusing to concede even the slightest piece of the pie in favor of the union.
The Mets’ shortstop, who signed a 10-year, $341 million contract just before the start of last season, expressed his feelings about the current CBA dispute, one that resulted in owners locking players out on December 2.
If there isn’t a new agreement soon, there is a high chance spring training is pushed back and the start of the season is delayed. If games are indeed lost, that means players will lose money: if they don’t play, they don’t get paid.
The Mets’ star is ready to defend the players’ rights
It’s certainly a problematic situation for players, but Lindor is prepared to fight for their rights until the last consequences. He spoke with Andy Martino of SNY, just after the owners’ meeting on Thursday.
“At the end of the day, we just want a good deal,” he told SNY. “If that’s what it comes down to… (missing games) We don’t want to do it. We want to play the full season. But if that’s what it comes down to… We continue to come to the table and bring good things, so we’re ready.”
It’s clear that losing games payments is not the same for Lindor, an accomplished veteran who has made millions in his career, than to a rookie that made the prorated amount of $570,000 last year, but the Mets’ star recognizes that sometimes, good things involve great sacrifices.
“The players are very aware of everything that’s happening,” Lindor said. “They’re very educated. Everybody’s together.”
Commissioner Rob Manfred said that he is hopeful games aren’t lost. “I see missing games as a disastrous outcome for this industry,” he stated, saying that a deal is “always one breakthrough away.”