Mets: Details of GM Zack Scott’s arrest emerge

New York Mets

At around 4:15 am on Tuesday, police officers arrested New York Mets’ acting general manager Zack Scott, who fell asleep at the wheel of his vehicle and refused to take a breathalyzer, according to the police in White Plains, N.Y. (link to the New York Times story here).

The Mets have already placed the executive on administrative leave. He was arrested on a charge of driving while intoxicated. According to Capt. James Spencer of the White Plains Police Department, “an officer spotted Scott asleep at the wheel of a 2018 Toyota Highlander at the intersection of Fisher and South Lexington Avenues on Tuesday. Spencer said Scott, 44, refused to take a breathalyzer test but failed a field sobriety test.”

The Mets’ GM was booked and later released, per Spencer.

On Thursday morning, the executive pleaded not guilty to a first-offense D.W.I. charge.

The Mets expressed their disappointment with the events. “We are surprised and deeply disappointed to learn this morning about an alleged D.U.I. involving Zack Scott,” they said.

“We take this matter very seriously. Zack will not be traveling with the team for our upcoming road trip while we learn more and determine next steps,” they stated.

A rough year for Mets’ executives

Per the New York Times, Scott was attending a fund raising event by Mets’ owner Steve Cohen. A team official said the gathering was done by 9:00 pm, and he was found asleep in his car several hours later.

The Mets have had to endure several scandals this season. First, Jared Porter, hired to be the general manager in late 2020, was dismissed after it was revealed he sent unsolicited messages and pictures to a female back in 2016.

Then, former Mets’ manager Mickey Callaway was suspended for sexual harassment allegations by several women in a period spanning five years.

Most recently, Mets’ player started a rift with fans over the constant booing due to bad performance.

Mentioned in this article:

More about: