The start of the 2021 season was nightmarish for New York Mets’ shortstop Francisco Lindor. Signed to a $341 million contract extension, he had the expectations of a highly demanding fanbase on his shoulder, and as a newcomer still getting to know the city, the team, and the fans, it proved, for a couple of months, too much to handle.
Lindor struggled mightly to open the season. Just a few days ago, his batting average was below the Mendoza line and he was struggling to generate any power. He kept hitting the ball hard and taking his walks, but a problem with ground balls affected him for weeks.
On May 5, the Mets’ star was batting .157 with a .276 on-base percentage and just two extra-base hits. His slugging percentage was .202. He had only on homer and was on an 0-for-26 slump, arguably the worst of his career.
The Mets are pleased with his progress
Thankfully for the Mets, he has come a long way since then, and while his batting average currently sits at .218, he now looks like vintage Francisco Lindor.
According to MLB.com, Lindor has a .280/.342/.480 line in his last 26 games, with 11 extra-base hits, four home runs, and 10 RBI for the Mets. That’s more like it, and that’s what the Mets paid for before the start of the campaign.
“I’m very encouraged,” Lindor said about his recent performance. “I feel good. I finally have some success on my side. Hopefully, I continue this to help the team win.”
Then he told the Mets’ official site, “And when I get home, maybe I don’t get booed.”
His struggles were so bad that he was repeatedly booed at home for weeks. But that should be a thing of the past.
As long as Lindor keeps performing, the Mets will have every reason to feel good about the long-term investment they made.