Friday morning saw the Chicago Bears kickoff the first of what will be three practices wearing pads heading into the weekend. After another day at training camp, here are some quick observations heading into the weekend:
- If I had to pick a winner today, itâ€™d be the defense. Friday marks the first of three padded practices for the Bears going into the weekend and the defense was clearly more fired up compared to the offense. Defensive coordinator Sean Desai has added some life to a defense that many seemed to be writing off throughout the offseason.Â
- Also, itâ€™s getting harder and harder to evaluate where the Bears’ OL is really at compared to the Bears’ defense, especially with the injury bug stinging the OL. Offensive tackles Larry Borom and Lachavious Simmons are being evaluated for concussions, per multiple reports. The hope is that Teven Jenkins recovers fast enough with the Miami Dolphins coming to town for joint practices and a preseason game very soon.Â
- Former Eagles head coach Doug Pederson was present in the building. Early on, there was some speculation that the Bears hired him in a consultant role, especially after the Eagles fired him at the start of the offseason. Pederson was on the practice field talking to Dalton and Foles, but Pederson was just visiting his old friend Nagy.Â
- Does anyone else find it completely odd that QB Nick Foles said on Tuesday that heâ€™s a better version of himself compared to years past and yet Foles had multiple interceptions in practice today? Seriously, that’s got to be a bad look for Foles, who didn’t exactly dice up the third-string defense today.Â
- The pads were on today and the intensity was on another level. Akiem Hicks was clearly having lots of fun out there.
- Won’t lie, CB Kindle Vildor had himself a strong day and continues to make a push for the starting CB2 job opposite Jaylon Johnson.
- Both quarterbacks had really strong days today. Dalton will continue to be QB1 until the coaching staff decides to make a switch but Fields’ progress cannot be overlooked as there was noticeable improvement today.
- This running back room, even with Tarik Cohen out continues to impress. Damien Williams and Khalil Herbert made some plays in practice today, making RB one of the best positions on the team throughout training camp.
- Wide receiver Marquise Goodwin had another strong practice. He could be WR3 in this offense pretty soon.
Be sure to follow Fireside Bears on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Tik Tok, and Instagram for all the latest updates on all things Chicago Bears.