Projecting the New York Giants’ starting secondary for 2020

New York Giants, James Bradyberry, Darnay Holmes, Julian Love, Xavier McKinney

The New York Giants made a significant move on Monday afternoon to bolster their weakened secondary. When safety Xavier McKinney went down with a fractured fifth metatarsal last week, it was apparent that a free agent signing was in their future. General manager Dave Gettleman struck a deal with former New England Patriots and Tennessee Titan, Logan Ryan.

While the Giants will be without McKinney for at least 10 weeks of the regular season, the secondary improved this week. They were preparing to head into the 2020 season with a bevy of undrafted free agents, and late-round draft picks competing for the starting cornerback spot that DeAndre Baker left behind. Now, they have a bit more flexibility with Ryan entering the fold.

Projected starting New York Giants secondary:

CB1: James Bradberry

With Janoris Jenkins joining the New Orleans Saints last season, the Giants were forced to allocate salary cap toward a new No. 1 cornerback. James Bradberry was the second-best option on the market, and they locked him into a three-year deal.

Bradberry had a successful 2019 campaign, playing in 15 games and racking up 65 combined tackles. He also logged 12 passes defended, three interceptions, and allowed just one touchdown. He is the clear-cut top corner for the Giants and should actually provide an upgrade over Jenkins moving forward.

Brock Lesnar hits free agency; Could he come back to the UFC or Bellator?

Yesterday news starting to leak out that former UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar (5-3, 1 NC), was a free agent. PW Insider was the first to report that Lesnar’s contract with the WWE had expired.

Since the news broke, many have discovered that the WWE has pulled all Lesnar merchandise from their website. Of course the news has prompted many in the sports world to ponder what is next for Brock Lesnar.

Could the former UFC heavyweight champion make his return to MMA at 43 years old? Lesnar had previously entered the USADA Testing Pool in his effort to come back and challenge Daniel Cormier for the heavyweight title after their exchange at UFC 226.

UFC or Bellator for Lesnar?

We all know now that Lesnar did end up deciding to not return for the fight with Cormier. Instead, Lesnar decided to stick it out with the WWE instead of making his return to the UFC.

Bellator President Scott Coker came out yesterday and said that they would be interested in signing Lesnar if he’s available. Coker told ESPN’s Ariel Helwani, “Yes, if he’s truly available. Fedor vs. Brock is interesting. It’s the fight that never happened!”

Of course the problem with that is the fact that Lesnar is still technically under contract with the UFC. Dana White announced in late 2018 that Lesnar still had an exclusive MMA deal with the UFC. He said that Lesnar still had fights left on his contract.

We have not seen Brock Lesnar inside a UFC cage competing since UFC 200. That night, Lesnar won a decision over Mark Hunt. Of course, Lesnar went on to test positive, and the fight was overturned to a no contest.

Jon Jones (26-1, 1 NC) took to Twitter yesterday to give his thoughts on fighting Brock Lesnar. Jones had called Lesnar out after he defeated Daniel Cormier in hopes of making a super fight with the former heavyweight champion.

Lesnar is one of the three greatest draws the sport of mixed martial arts has ever seen. Him alongside Conor McGregor and Georges St. Pierre were all superstars. Lesnar was truly the first mega star given his background and popularity in the WWE.

It will be interesting to see if Lesnar decided to come back to the UFC or Bellator, retire from everything, or perhaps sign a new pro wrestling deal with AEW. Time will tell, but it’s definitely a situation to monitor.